Faculty

Milka Bliznakov

Professor Emerita

M.Arch., State Polytechnic of Sofia, Bulgaria
Ph.D., Columbia University

BLIZNAKOV_MILKA.jpg

Milka Bliznakov joined the Virginia Tech faculty of Architecture in 1974 to teach in the Urban Design program. After the program was closed, she was transferred to teach advanced design in urban environments until her retirement in 1998. Milka received her M.Arch. from the State Polytechnic of Sofia, Bulgaria in 1951 and had practiced Architecture in Bulgaria and France from 1959-1961 and in the USA from 1961-1972. After receiving her Ph.D. from Columbia University, NYC in 1971, she began teaching at the University of Texas, 1972-1974. She was the 1972 co-founder of the Institute of Modern Russian Culture.

In 1985 Milka founded the International Archive of Women in Architecture. She received the Parthena Award in 1994, the Fulbright Hays Fellowship in 1983 and 1991, the International Research & Exchange Grant in 1984 and 1993, a National Endowment for the Arts grant, 1973-74, and the Wilson Center of the Smithsonian Institute Scholar in 1988. Her numerous publications focused mainly on the European avant-garde and the contributions of women to the built environment.